Sunday, August 10, 2008

NP Endurance Project Week 5

Week 5 already! Wow!! The whole team is just coming along phenomenally well. Everyone showed their dedication, training and team spirit at yesterdy's Run 4 Reason 5K. Five team members were away for the weekend on various adventures (or had to work) so we had 10 of us there.

We basically met in registration before the warm up mile. While I was standing there talking (of course) in walks SHERRY !!!!! I knew her as soon as I saw her. Cute as a button with those dimples and full of energy. It felt like we'd known each other for years. Her husband Scott is also a sweetie, what a beautiful couple. Sherry rocked the 5k with her 26:23, taking 1st place in her age group. YAY Sherry!!! Meeting Sherry was the highlight of the day for me. We could have visited for hours!!! (Hugs Sherry) =)



The team ran a warm up mile and came back for stretching. It was a very hot, very humid morning. We all felt it. I hadn't run for 2 weeks, I had the flu, so I didn't expect to run too well. And I didn't...LOL (thoughts are THINGS) BLAHHH.....anyway, we lined up and took off. We cheered each other on as we passed each other. I had trouble breathing and had to stop 3 times. I was surprisingly ok with this since I expected to have some trouble.



I ran with Kim, another JUST Kim, not Kimberly!! Pretty fun! Found a new friend and she lives near me. We'll be running together, I'm sure. I saw many, many friends. Yuli, Bill, Carol, Bob, Jack, I can't even name them all. I love that part of being a runner. I look forward to seeing everyone just as much as running the race. The running community is friendly and FUN!

Bethany took Overall First Place female, Josephine took Grand Master female. Nice job ladies!! Jim, Ed, Tess, Frank, Cindy and yours truly (ME) all placed in our respective age groups and went home with medals. Pretty nice looking medals too. I pulled a Nitmos and wore mine all day. The people at Publix were all pretty impressed...I even let them touch it. I know, I know....I'm good like that. I'm thinking of having a "Come See Kim's Medals" party. You're all invited. Should be fun. And quick since I only have about 6....teehee

Before the results were announced, Jim gathered us for the cool down mile. I calmly told him I was skipping that. He just as calmly told me I was NOT skipping it. Then I reminded him that I am my own captain. He can't really tell me what to do. He said ok. After winning that one, I decided I WANTED to run the cool down. So I did. Kinda. I walked a lot of it just cuz I could. You know, being the captain and all. I would have stopped a little earlier but Tess has an issue with running an odd distance. She made us keep going for the full mile. I like Tess, so I did it. I guess you could say I did it for you, Tess!!

The good thing about having the flu is, I'll be healthy for the rest of the season. I hope.

No comments: