Monday, April 7, 2008

Still Feelin' Foxy....

Well HEY! I had a great run on Friday with Jim and I am not hurting any worse! Last time I ran, it put me out of commission for 2 weeks. This time I feel even better! The road to recovery is one I'd rather have run instead of limped, but I'm almost there. I feel FREE!

I was hoping to run today after the the gym this morning, but I worked for Alycia. She's prego and has the flu, poor punkin. I may need to fill in for her tomorrow too, we'll see. Seems like now that I CAN run, I can't find the time. There's a Zoomer run tomorrow night but if I have to work the day I won't make the run. I'm a wife and Mom first! So I'll just make the family run with me! What a GREAT idea!

Most people who know me, know I've taken on the new goal of speeding up my runs. I really want to shoot for qualifying for Boston 2009. I know it's a stretch to speed train for 7 months and get a qualifying time in October but hey....I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. Even if I don't make it, I won't feel like I failed anyway. I love to run and the sense of accomplishment and pride I feel from every run is something I cherish.

I got a little bonus this morning during my core class at the YMCA. During the exercises we were listening to a CD when a song came on we all knew. First let me tell you, Jim teaches this class as well as being my mentor/coach/trainer. He is also a singer/songwriter. I am a music fanatic, I love all kinds of music. I have CDs for cleaning, showering, laying by the pool, running...etc. SO...when Jim said the singer was Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20, I quite confidently told him he was wrong....LOL. I didn't know who it was but I KNEW it wasn't Rob. He insisted it was. I said I'd bet him $50 it was not. He said how about a Subway sandwich (which I do love) but I said NO! Then, my brain kicked in. I had an awesome idea. I'm all giggly just remembering the moment....heehee. I said....how about a speed training session! He got all confident and said IF he WAS wrong, he'd give me TWO speed training sessions. Ooooohhhhhlala!! Can you say JACKPOT babyyyyyy??????? I got all warm inside. I knew I was right. I know Rob Thomas's voice. I also know my ticket to Boston is through my trainer. He got me to the finish line of my first marathon in just under 5 months. His coaching and training methods work for me. I hear the instructions and just do it. This is gonna be GREAT!

I even made him shake on it....lol

I guess I should tell you, Jim said if it wasn't Rob Thomas, it had to be Chad Kroeger from Nickelback. He was right about that. I didn't think it was, because I'd never seen Chad with short hair except for the video to the song we were betting against. So technically Jim did know the singer's name. I only knew it wasn't Rob Thomas. I offered to call it a truce but Jim was kind enough to call me the winner. So I get some speed training from the one person I know who can get me to Boston. I almost feel guity. Almost.....
.
.
.

4 comments:

The Laminator said...

Hi Kim. Thanks for sharing your story with me.

I think it's so very cool that you're speed training for a Boston Qaulifier...and now you even have a coach to give you free lessons...that's doubly cool. Oh, I so hope you do well and get there.

I'm running Boston next year too. I qualified last November, but couldn't run it this year because of injury, so I'm banking on having a fantastic race next year.

So I hope I'll run into you somewhere in Hopkinton. Fingers crossed.

Sherry said...

Hi Kim!

Yes, I have been MIA!

My husband had a terrible accident last Friday. Fell 40' while training for the Combat Challenge and ended up in ICU for 3 days. He's going to be fine, but he's got a few more days ahead of him in the hospital. I've been trying to squeeze in some bare-bones training during the hours when I'm not allowed to visit with him. Hopefully I'll get him back home here on Friday and then I get to play nurse AND triathlete. :o)

I'm super behind on all of my blog readings, but I promise to catch up as soon as I can. HUGS!

Nitmos said...

Gunning for Boston is a worthy goal but it doesn't have to be 2009 or bust. You should see substantial improvement this summer. If it doesn't happen in October, try again...and again. You'll keep getting closer with that expert coaching! Good luck.

KimsRunning said...

Hello Nitmos!

Have no fear! Even if I don't qualify in Oct, I won't be too disappointed. I know it's a stretch. Honestly, I enjoy the challenge and I look forward to seeing what I have in me! If it takes me 3 years, so be it!

Thanks!
Kim