Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday Running Club

I had an easy morning with the kids off from school. Kerri watched them for me so I could get to my core exercise class. We worked our legs and abs. Put a little upper body into it too. I really enjoy this class. The ladies are a friendly, funny group and sometimes they get talking so loud Jim has to yell out the instructions....LOL.

As much as I love the class, my mind was on running today. I got my new Asics yesterday and my flexor was getting better. I felt ready to give it a go! I had a spark of reluctance for a minute, I was worried about hurting the flexor more and having to wait even longer to run, but Jim was running today too. I needed a little coaching for this. I wanted to run, but wisely. I knew he'd be able to tell if I needed to wait a little longer.

We started off in a brisk walk, then an easy paced run. We alternated the walk/run all the way to the end of the first mile. My flexor was making itself known, but not too bad. We decided to go the 2nd mile. The last time I ran with Jim was just after Christmas and when we tried this distance I was having trouble keeping up. My lungs hadn't expanded much at that point. Now I can run and talk and never get out of breath.

We were against the wind going out so we thought the run back would be easy...it seemed like the minute we turned back from mile 2, the wind shifted and we were running against it again! Ah well, it was a beautiful day, I was so happy to be running again. Not one complaint from me! Another reason I like running with Jim is because his coaching kicks right in and I learn something new every time. He gives me pointers all along the way. He's VERY into aero-dynamics.

His theories are verrrry interestingggg...Like this one.....I was joking that my legs were longer and I was going to beat him in a 5K someday (which, between me and you, is a lie) but anyway, Jim was saying that it's the push off from the foot that gives the initial boost ...by the time you're swinging your other leg up and forward, you're losing momentum. By running in shorter strides, you could be picking up speed. Hmmmm.....makes sense because when I run alone, I'm almost 3 minutes faster in a 5K than during a race. In races, I book it, I consciously take big strides thinking I'm saving energy but alone I kinda just go along without a care in the world. I know they're shorter strides because I have to think about taking a longer stride. I don't really do a whole lot of thinking when I'm running by myself. I'm too busy watching for dogs. And half naked sweaty guys that tend to run past me....LOL...yes, I know.....lucky ME!

So we had a great run, nice and easy. I feel a little sore right now but it'll be fine. I'm working tonight but then I'm off until Wed! No resting it tonight. I enjoyed running today. Feels great to be back into it.

Now I just need to practice those short, quick strides. Watch out Jimbo....hahaha!!!!!
.
.
.

2 comments:

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

I'm glad you had a good "first run back", Kim! Definitely sets the tone for what is to come for you. That's interesting that Jim mentioned the shorter strides, b/c I've read a lot about that as well... what a difference increased leg turnover makes! When I do my speedwork now, I concentrate on turning my legs over more instead of trying to make my stride longer (which will NEVER happen with my stumps anyway).

Yay! I'm so glad that you're up and at 'em again... and that your hip flexor didn't give you too much trouble. Hopefully it will continue to behave and improve! Wishing you a wonderful weekend!