Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's Getting Better

I ran Wed at the gym...3.8 miles. It was hot but enjoyable. There's a park about halfway called 5 Senses. I ran in there and walked a bit before getting back on the road. It's a peaceful place, I think I'll go there more often.

I ran this morning at 9am. I just went about 3 miles, I was supposed to be getting ready for the beach. Everyone was still sleeping and Bobby had taken off to ride with his cycling group. I figured I'd get a shorty in. I saw a man up ahead, I picked up speed and "chicked" him. Does it matter that he was walking? No? I didn't think so...LOL...I turned around and walked back to him. I asked if he was training for anything and he said no. He had some surgery and was getting his strength back. I told him about the half marathon training and invited him. He said he didn't think he could do 13.1 miles. I told him I did a full marathon in 4.5 months, so I am proof it CAN be done. I saw a twinkle in his eye, he said he'd give it a thought. So maybe a seed was planted....we shall see.

My husband was off for the day but went for a bike ride with his group. He did 50 MILES!!!! That's a half century!! It took him 3 hours and he L-O-V-E-D every minute of it. Here's the kicker....he has a regular road bike. Not a racing bike. He still averaged 18 MPH. I'm so proud of him. The look of satisfaction on his face when he got home was awesome. I wish he would run. It would be so cool to run a marathon together. He wishes I'd bike. We have agreed to not bug each other about our chosen sports....LOL.

I think this half marathon training project has me fired up. I am back into running again and loving it. Jim (my coach) made me a running coach for this project and I am so very thrilled. I was watching him make the flyer the other day, and when he put "running coach" beside my name I just felt so proud. I don't think he realizes just how much this means to me. To think that just one year ago this month I was still recuperating from being sick. 9 months later and I've run a marathon and become a running coach. Blows my mind. My husband told me today he'd never have believed it. Thinking back to how I used to view exercise I can understand. The sense of accomplishment is astounding.

Tomorrow I plan on a 2 mile run in my Vibrams. I'll be back with an update on that......

No comments: