Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Proper Running Shoes

One day, while stretching to warm up for a run with the YMCA Runners Club, Jim noticed my sneakers. Well, my daughter, Kirstin's sneakers. (I had never bought a pair of sneakers, I just took my daughter's when I decided to start going to the gym).....

JIM: Hey Kim, those tennis shoes aren't good for running. You're going to need to invest in a good pair of running shoes.

KIM: (Oh, ok.... But here's what I really heard....)"go shopping for shoes!" YAY!!!!

JIM: We need to check your arches to see what ones would be best for your type of foot.

KIM: Can't I just get some pink ones??????

So that was my take on the running shoe thing. At first. We wet the bottom of my foot and I stepped on a piece of paper. I had normal arches and narrow feet. He gave me some info on different shoe types to choose from. I learned a bit about running shoes from googling forums and reading some running magazines. I went back to the gym and announced Asics Cummulus Gel came in pink! HOORAY!! I was equally happy to hear I made a good choice.

I noticed a huge difference right away. The Asics were 14 lbs lighter, held my feet a lot more snuggly and NO SWEATING. I didn't get that squishy feeling after a run. I can actually feel a slight breeze through my sneakers as I run. They're very shock absorbing also. And here's the BEST part....yep, splash of pink on 'em.....sighhhhh......

All kidding aside, if you're going to run, get good running sneakers. That was great advice.

No comments: