Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Anniversary To My Asics

Today is my one year anniversary of the first time I ever ran. If you could call it running...LOL. I remember walking out of the gym with Jim, listening to his instructions intently, determined to run for 5 miles. I had NO IDEA what I was thinking! I think I ran 20 feet and thought I was going to have a heart attack. So I learned the Galloway method that day. Right from the start Jim pointed out nature, sights, smells...explaining that running was not just "one foot in front of the other". It's an opportunity to relax, take in my surroundings. Meet people along the way. It's NOT a time to kill yourself.

I did learn to run with this attitude and it works for me. I enjoy running with people more than if I'm alone. Even when there's no talking involved, just the sound of feet moving along at the same tempo.

I mentioned to Jim yesterday I've been running for one year now and he looked surprised for a minute. He said I've accomplished a whole lot in my first year. I said "Oh yeah...a nice IT band injury". He listed off my races and I felt very proud of myself. It was just what I needed to let go of my disappointment in not running the full at Space Coast. I see that I have come far and I still have many miles ahead of me to meet some more goals.

I am meeting my friend Mike at the gym for a run. I have high hopes this morning. I've been adjusted, stretched, warmed up and I'm not hurting. I hope to do 3 miles, but I'll be happy with 2. This IT band issue is so getting old, but I am glad I've taken the time to let it heal. Even though I tortured myself mentally over the last few weeks.

I'm fine with only running the half at Space Coast. I have come to terms with it! Today anyway....

No comments: